Chosen in Christ (Paperback)
The apostle Paul broke into doxologies when writing about the electing grace of God. Far from cold, lifeless doctrine, the revelation of God's sovereign mercy stirs heart and mind, and comforts the soul. Writes Richard Phillips in this engaging exposition of Ephesians 1, "There is no debate raging within the Godhead concerning our place in salvation, no tension; there are no awkward silences or heated conversations. Rather there is a grand and cohesive conspiracy of love originating in the eternal and sovereign grace of the Father."
Publication Date: April 2004
Topic: Christ, Doctrine, Grace, Election
Table of Contents:
1. Grace and Peace to You, Ephesians 1:1-2
2. What Is a Christian?, Ephesians 1:1
3. Blessing For Blessing, Ephesians 1:3
4. Chosen in Christ, Ephesians 1:4
5. Predestined as Sons, Ephesians 1:5
6. The Glory of His Grace, Ephesians 1:6
7. Redemption in Christ, Ephesians 1:7-8
8. The Blood of Christ, Ephesians 1:7
9. The Salvation Mystery, Ephesians 1:9-10
10. The Glorious Plan of God, Ephesians 1:11-13
11. Marked with a Seal, Ephesians 1:13
12. The Deposit of Our Inheritance, Ephesians 1:14
13. Paul's Prayer for the Church, Ephesians 1:15-17
14. Knowing God, Ephesians 1:17
15. The Three "Whats," Ephesians 1:18-20
16. Christ Exalted, Ephesians 1:20-23
17. Prayer and the Sovereignty of God, Ephesians 1:15-23
Index of Scripture
Index of Subjects and Names
"An outstanding book. It derives from a pastoral context and is marked by clarity of thought. It leads us through the difficult subjects of election and predestination with what I could only call a masterly touch."
—Eric J. Alexander
"Richard Phillips opens this extremely timely New Testament epistle in a manner that reflects both solid interpretation and a pastor’s desire to instruct and lead people into a deeper understanding of the Christian life. . . . highly readable and applicable studies."
"The doctrine of election is one of the most obvious and yet most debated, ignored, or even denied teachings in Scripture. But, as Chosen in Christ makes clear on every page, this precious truth is good news for every believer. Just read it and see for yourself!"
—Michael S. Horton
Richard Phillips is chair of the Philadelphia Conference on Reformed Theology. Rev. Phillips also serves as senior minister of Second Presbyterian Church in Greenville, SC. An officer in the United States Army for thirteen years, Phillips commanded tank units and later served as assistant professor of leadership at West Point before resigning with the rank of major to enter the ministry. He is the author of numerous books, including, The Masculine Mandate: God’s Calling to Men and I Samuel Reformed Expository Commentary.